1a : averse to activity, effort, or movement : habitually lazy. b : showing an inclination to laziness an indolent sigh. c : conducive to or encouraging laziness indolent heat.
What is the similar meaning of indolent?
The words lazy and slothful are common synonyms of indolent. While all three words mean “not easily aroused to activity,” indolent suggests a love of ease and a dislike of movement or activity.
What is the meaning slothful?
lazy, indolent, slothful mean not easily aroused to activity. lazy suggests a disinclination to work or to take trouble.
Is slothful a real word?
sluggardly; indolent; lazy.
Is slothful formal?
adjective (Formal) lazy, idle, inactive, indolent, do-nothing (informal), slack, sluggish, inert, skiving (Brit.
What is the full meaning of indolence?
: inclination to laziness : sloth.
How do you use the word indolent?
Indolent sentence example
- The natives were allowed to live the indolent life of the tropics. …
- Evidently Peter was determined to tear his son away from a life of indolent ease. …
- He lacked neither ambition nor capacity, but was indolent and only exerted himself spasmodically.
How do you use indolent?
Indolent in a Sentence ?
- Jackson lost his job because he was an indolent employee who did nothing but sleep at his desk all day.
- Because I enjoy being indolent, there is nothing I find more pleasant than relaxing in bed.
- My indolent daughter waited until the last possible day to start her lengthy research paper.
What does Grity mean?
1 : containing or resembling grit. 2 : courageously persistent : plucky a gritty heroine. 3 : having strong qualities of tough uncompromising realism a gritty novel.
What does Indelant mean?
/ˈɪn.dəl. ənt/ showing no real interest or effort: an indolent wave of the hand.
Are slothful and lazy the same thing?
As adjectives the difference between slothful and lazy
is that slothful is lazy; inactive; sluggish; indolent; idle; tending to sloth while lazy is unwilling to do work or make an effort.
How do you use the word slothful in a sentence?
disinclined to work or exertion.
- He was not slothful: he had been busy all night.
- Fatigue had made him slothful, and now he’d let his enemies get dangerously close.
- Lazy , slothful people sow poverty tomorrow.
- I’ve never been tardy, absent, disobedient, slothful or disrespectful.
What is opposite of gluttony?
Opposite of the vice of eating to excess. abstemiousness. abstinence. moderation. temperance.
What is indolence According to Rizal?
As noted earlier, Rizal’s definition of indolence is “little love for work, lack of activity”. This, according to him, was a problem in the Philippines. ” Analysing carefully then all the incidents and all the men we have known since our childhood and the life in our country, we believe that indolence exists there.
How do you use parsimonious in a sentence?
Parsimonious in a Sentence ?
- To save money, the parsimonious old man always bought used clothes.
- My mother is parsimonious and never tips more than five percent.
- Even though I have plenty of money, I tend to be parsimonious with my spending.
What is the main point of the indolence of the Filipino?
La Indolencia de los Filipinos, more popularly known in its English version, “The Indolence of the Filipinos,” is a exploratory essay written by Philippine national hero Dr. Jose Rizal, to explain the alleged idleness of his people during the Spanish colonization.
How is indolence related to work?
Solution(By Examveda Team)
As ‘Indolence’ and ‘Work’ are opposite to each other in the same way ‘Taciturn’ and ‘speak’ are opposite to each other.
What are 2 synonyms for slothful?
What is slothfulness in the Bible?
Sloth has also been defined as a failure to do things that one should do, though the understanding of the sin in antiquity was that this laziness or lack of work was simply a symptom of the vice of apathy or indifference, particularly an apathy or boredom with God.
What is the word shiftless mean?
1 : lacking in resourcefulness : inefficient. 2 : lacking in ambition or incentive : lazy shiftless freeloaders.
Who is slothful person?
Someone who is slothful is lazy and unwilling to make an effort to work. He was not slothful: he had been busy all night. Synonyms: lazy, idle, inactive, indolent More Synonyms of slothful.
Are sloths lazy?
Conventional wisdom has it that sloths are simple, lazy creatures that do very little other than sleep all day. Even the very name “sloth” in most languages translates as some version of “lazy”. … The truth is that sloths are incredibly slow movers, but for a very simple reason: survival.