Abject sentence example
- The poor surroundings caused abject misery. …
- The situation created abject terror. …
- He died in abject poverty in 1961 at the age of 57 years. …
- Abject humiliation followed the scene with the elders. …
- How pertinent it is to see the biggest stars reach such truly abject lows.
What does abject ignorance mean?
1 utterly wretched or hopeless.
What is the synonym of abject?
Some common synonyms of abject are ignoble, mean, and sordid. While all these words mean “being below the normal standards of human decency and dignity,” abject may imply degradation, debasement, or servility.
What is the meaning of abjection?
1 : a low or downcast state : degradation. 2 : the act of making abject : humbling, rejection I protest …
What is the meaning of most abject?
Abject means absolutely miserable, the most unfortunate, with utter humiliation. You might have heard the phrase abject poverty, which is the absolute worst, most hopeless level of poverty you’ve ever seen.
What does abject mean in court?
“Abject” shares with “mean,” “ignoble,” and “sordid” the sense of being below the normal standards of human decency and dignity. “Abject” may imply degradation, debasement, or servility (“abject poverty”).
How do you use abject?
Abject in a Sentence ?
- After his wife died, he was an abject man.
- Janice was in such an abject state that she tried to kill herself.
- While I am feeling a little sad at the moment, I do not plan on being abject for much longer. …
- When Mark lost his job, he was abject for weeks and would not leave his house.
What is abject reality?
Yes an abject person or an abject character. abject means in reality “despicable”. The etymology is from Latin (abjĭcĕre: to throw away): something you want to throw away from you (repulsive, disgusting). It’s the same -ject as in subject or “alea jacta est”
How do you use abnegation in a sentence?
Abnegation in a Sentence ?
- Her abnegation of ice cream and cookies is due to her Olympic team training.
- Because everyone knew Jane loved serving the public, they were shocked by her abnegation of the congressional seat.
- The school counselor hoped she could encourage her students to consider the abnegation of drug use.
How do I use Abnegate in a sentence?
Abnegate in a Sentence ?
- The athlete decided to abnegate the unhealthy snack even though she really wanted to have a bite.
- Because he doesn’t drink more than two beers a night, Jase chose to abnegate the third.
- Although they really wanted to go, the couple decided to abnegate the cruise in favor of working all week. ?
What is abjection literature?
THE ABJECT, abjection (Kristeva): Our reaction (horror, vomit) to a threatened breakdown in meaning caused by the loss of the distinction between subject and object or between self and other.
What nearest in meaning to abject?
adjective. 1’many such families are living in abject poverty‘ wretched, miserable, hopeless, pathetic, pitiful, pitiable, piteous, stark, sorry, forlorn, woeful, lamentable, degrading, appalling, atrocious, awful.
What does abject apologies mean?
‘abject apology’ is just very humbly saying that you’re sorry.
What does abject state mean?
the state of being extremely unhappy, poor, unsuccessful, etc.: They live in abject poverty.
How do you use banal in a sentence?
Banal sentence example
- He doesn’t like English poetry, he finds it very banal . …
- Is it banal to dress up as a 1965 hippie? …
- It was a banal , yet apparently necessary, observation about British society today. …
- The store was filled with banal , mass-produced objects. …
- I try to avoid being banal when sitting in an interview.
What is abject cruelty?
1. Extremely contemptible or degrading: abject cowardice.
What does abject person mean?
adjective. utterly hopeless, miserable, humiliating, or wretched: abject poverty. contemptible; despicable; base-spirited: an abject coward. shamelessly servile; slavish.
What does it mean when a person is pedantic?
Pedantic is an insulting word used to describe someone who annoys others by correcting small errors, caring too much about minor details, or emphasizing their own expertise especially in some narrow or boring subject matter.
What does it mean to object in trial?
A formal protest raised during a trial, deposition or other procedure indicating that the objecting attorney wishes the judge to disallow either the testimony of a given witness or other evidence that would violate the rules of evidence or other procedural law.
What are two synonyms for abject?
synonyms for abject
What is the prefix of abject?
The prefix ab- means “away” and the root ject means “to throw,” so abject truly means, “thrown away.” Usually used as an adjective to modify poverty (abject poverty) the word abject connotes a hopeless state.
What is it called when you do things on a whim?
impulsive Add to list Share. If someone is impulsive, it means that they act on instinct, without thinking decisions through. If you worked for an entire year to save money for a car and then suddenly decided to spend it all on a diamond tiara instead, that would be an impulsive purchase.